- The VC will receive a JHS Data Package from the JHS Coordinating Center, please see the JHS Vanguard Center Package Contents document for the latest package description.
- The VC with experience in analysis of genetic data and with approved access to JHS dbGap data may request access to genetic data on JHS participants who have provided consent for such collaborations.
- The Coordinating Center will assist in answering queries from the VC regarding the JHS data.
Each JHS Vanguard Center is expected to be affiliated with a biomedical/public health research institution.
To apply to become a JHS Vanguard Center, an institution must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
◾Have an investigator willing to serve as Principal Investigator (PI) for the VC and assume responsibility for overseeing security of the JHS data received;
◾Have a data curator to serve as the primary contact for receipt of JHS VC data updates and manage JHS datasets for VC Investigators;
◾Have additional investigators at the same institution willing and able to collaborate on manuscripts and ancillary studies of cardiovascular diseases in the JHS;
◾Provide documentation of the proposed VC/institution’s data security policies and procedures; and
◾Have an authorized institutional representative complete a JHS VC Data Use Agreement (DUA).
- Provide their own internal administrative and data curation support.
- Provide a copy of their institution’s data security procedures.
- Provide a description for monitoring approved access to local JHS VC data package.
- Develop and maintain a data request and access log.
- Review JHS manuscript proposals (2+/year), ancillary study proposals (1+/year), abstracts (2+/year) and penultimate manuscripts (2+/year) as requested by the JHS Publications and Presentations Subcommittee (PPS) and the Ancillary Studies Subcommittee (ASSC).
- Lead and complete (submit to PPS) penultimate manuscripts based on JHS data (2+/year).
Mentor underrepresented minority trainees (1+/year).
- Submit semi-annual progress reports in a timely manner on JHS VC activities (use template provided) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Convene regular meetings of the JHS VC research team and keep the VC’s institution research community apprised of the resources and research opportunities of the JHS VC.
- Affiliate with one or more JHS Working Group (WG) through regular attendance of WG conference calls and participation in research activities of the WG, such as the development of manuscript proposals, abstracts, manuscripts, and presentations. See https://www.jacksonheartstudy.org/Research/Collaborations for a list of the JHS WGs.
- Work with the JHS to improve the JHS VC program.
JHS VCs not fulfilling these responsibilities at the end of each year will receive an inactive status notice.
- JHS VCs that remain inactive for more than one year will be retired (i.e., removed from the list of approved JHS VCs,) and required to destroy the VC data package.
- Retired JHS VCs interested in becoming active again must meet eligibility criteria and submit a new JHS VC application.
For more information about vanguard centers, send query to email@example.com.